Sunday, July 10, 2005

Miss the stuff you like looking at

7 and a half acres is a bunch of grass to mow. That poor John Deere yard tractor is really over matched.

My philosophy is miss the stuff you like looking at. It's a good philosophy ... as far as it goes. Things work out just dandy when I miss the indian blankets. The problems occure when I don't really know what I'm missing. Take for example the field thistles I let grow. These are 2 foot monsters that spread their thorny lower leaves in two foot circles while sending up their attractive purple flowers. Unfortunately they can take over a field and render it useless save for thistle growing. I relented and mowed them over.

Of coures we must remember that Rockport is mesquite country and just a week or 10 days of "missing" a mesquite sapling will inflict serious pain to your tires or fingers.

I'm still missing, but now I'm being selective in what I miss. Mexican hats, brown-eyed susans, and silver-leaved sunflowers - in. Field thistles, mesquite volunteers, and poison ivy - out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you can start a trend... Started mowing around the Mex blanket in my excuse for a lawn. Now all sorts of folks seem to be doing it...

Fellow but silent Clayarter & Texan....

Just thought I'd say Hey!

Jim Stone
Galveston (soon to be Alvin)

Taylor said...

Hey Jim, thanks for the comment. We Texans got to stick together there on Clayart if only to keep the Canadians at bay.

Post a Comment